This update contains the new dutch localization (thanks to Eric van der Veldt) plus a number of smaller changes. See the Change Log for more details.
Again, a small update. It contains the new french localization, courtesy of Michel Piquemal, and some small fixes. See the Change Log for details.thomas
This is a small update. It contains the new italian localization and a small number of little improvements. See the Change Log for details.
Oh, and Merry Christmas to all of you! :-)thomas
This is a new major release containing many new features and fixes. For details, see: Change Log.
You can download it here.thomas
This is a small update fixing a bug in Snow Leopard which would lead to double entries in iCal.
You can download it here.thomas
... among other good ratings from lesser known sites. :-)thomas
There is a glitch in BirthdayScanner X under Snow Leopard: BirthdayScanner X will produce double entries if you tell it to include the years ($years) in the event title.
So, I am aware of it and working on a fix.
In the meantime there is a really easy workaround:
just avoid event titles with years in them, use the “without years” variants.
Note that this problem only occurs on Snow Leopard; Leopard is fine.thomas
BirthdayScanner 2.3.1 is ready and can be downloaded.
It contains many improvements, mainly based on user requests. See the release notes for details.
I also added a new FAQ section.thomas
just a short update. Got home again from a nice relaxing vacation and now I’m zooming in to the upcoming release 2.3.1.
That release will have a number of new features and fixes, mostly driven by your user feedback. Thanks to all of you for that.
Biggest improvement to 2.2.2 are the new Dates table dialog, which allows filtering and sorting. Also, the event titles are now fully customizable.thomas
the Beta version 2.3b somehow found its way onto MacUpdate.com. I guess now it spreads like a wildfire. This was not intended by me, but here we are.
So just to clarify: “2.3b” is the Beta of the upcoming v2.3.0 (actually the current Release Candidate). It should work fine, but there may be still some rough edges. Especially german localization is still a bit lacking.
The last stable version is 2.2.2.
Now I am off to vacation. I’ll be back in three weeks, and I won’t be able to answer mail until then.thomas
BirthdayScanner X Version 2.3.0 is almost finished.
It contains a number of improvements to the UI, especially a totally revamped Contact List and the ability to specify how the event text should look like.
A Beta Version is available, you can download it here. If you want to help, I’d be glad to receive your feedback.thomas
I’m now starting to work on the next release (2.3). New features include more control of how entries look like (e.g. most ppl don’t care for the company name in the event text); the possibility to sort the list-of-contacts; the possibility to filter the list of contacts by Addressbook contact group. If you miss another feature and really want it in the next release, drop a note.thomas
Get it here .
This is another maintenance release fixing 2 bugs and adding 2 features:
- Fixed a bug which would cause BirthdayScanner X to crash when importing contacts marked as company with no company name.
- Fixed a bug which caused imported events sometimes to be off (minus) several days. Thank to Tom Miller & Ian Schorr for reporting this one.
- showing the age in the event title is now optional. The side effect of showing the age is that the generated iCal events are not generated as event series. Switching off showing the Age preserves the events as event series.
- the "creation mark" ("created by zencat BirthdayScanner...") is now optional. Note however that this means that BirthdayScanner X won't find and update the generated events in the future. So this is just for people who generate the birthday events once and from then on want to maintain them manually in iCal.
- Both new options can be set in Preferences.
Known bug: Automatic update to version 2.2.2 will not work for versions 2.2.1 and 2.2.0. This is because I screwed up the public signature keys sent out with these two older versions. So, you will have to download version 2.2.2 from this website manually. Sorry for that.thomas
just looked into the spanish localization and it looks a bit cheesy to me, but then, I am not a native spanish speaker. So, if you’d like to give me a hand with that or any other localization, drop me a note.thomas
A number of bug reports and feature requests came in; I added a page to track issues and future development.thomas
This is a small maintenance release which fixes a crash when importing into a calendar with pre-existing events.
Note that Auto-Update from 2.2.0 to 2.2.1 is broken right now, so please use the download link here.thomas
I just released version 2.2.0 of the BirthdayScanner X.
I mainly rewrote the import to iCal completely using new APIs on Leopard. Unfortunately this also means that Tiger is not longer supported. The old version is still available though for download, and that one still works on Tiger.
- BirthdayScanner now remembers the last settings.
- "Last imported" Button in contact list
- age now is displayed in the calendar events
- added spanish localization
- double imports into iCal, "multiplying" birthday events and similar.
- broken exported ICS files if the contacts have newlines in the names
- german localization issues
I got a number of questions about the “Duplicate Entries” problem in BirthdayScanner X.
Here is what happens:
When scanning the Address Book repeatedly - e.g. to add new birthdays to the calendar you just added to Address Book - BirthdayScanner X will not only add the new events but also all the old events which are already in iCal. So in iCal, you will see multiple events for the same birthday.
I admit that is very annoying, and I am going to fix this.
However, in the meantime I can offer you two workarounds:
- When importing Birthdays into iCal, specify a new calendar (example: “My Birthdays”). Keep this calendar for the sole purpose of maintaining birthdays. Then, next time you want to import Birthdays from Address Book to iCal, delete this calendar and just re-create it with all events.
- Another workaround would be to just import the new dates you did not import before: In the “Events” panel, click “Change” and de-select all dates you already imported.
Sorry for this inconvenience. I will fix this in a future version.thomas